This is both a research project and an experiment in creating a diary in the style of a Tudor-era woman. Research notes are usually found here, and my primary journal is here.

21 May 2005

To the gardens, that these may be ordered. I went forth alone, seeking the solace of small, quiet works, but in goodly time I was joined by three of my household; Miguel I set to mow the side field and thence to the repair of equipment and Rosamond and Gerald to the larger gardens.

I noted with displeasure that the lovage, sage and rue bloom already, though it be but May, and myself saw to the clipping of the sage blooms, that we may yet harvest a goodly crop before it doth seed and become bitter and tasteless; it content me to let the lovage bloom as it will, for its seeds are a passing fair addition, though it mean that the leaf be not fit for the rest of the season. We had no seed of it last year, and our stores are empty. The horehound also grows again this year, a great surprise, for it grew not at all last year, and so in winter we were without it, much to our discomfort. So also did I set out several other herbs to grow, but of them, nothing yet may be known.

Later, to Wyndham Manor, to attend the marriage feast of Phillip and Anastasia; the wedding feast was much marveled upon and the banquet thereof composed of sundry sweetmeats, to my great delight. Though I was sore tired, nonetheless I stood to several dances, that I might display my pleasure at this union, and spoke a private word of blessing and gratitude unto the lady Anastasia.

And so home, and to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home