This is both a research project and an experiment in creating a diary in the style of a Tudor-era woman. Research notes are usually found here, and my primary journal is here.

22 December 2009

On ys day, I have not moved from Marihaus, owing to illness. 7 I was to ye surgeon yesterday, who bade me rest and stay away from ye Earle's Chancery these *iij* days, and I am vexed at ys but am in no wise willing to go against it. Et so also do I fret heavily, having will to do much that needs attention, but have little ability.

Et vpon ye *xj*th day of December, which is for remeberance of Saint Damascus, I sent vnto my sonne a boke of letters by which he may have greater instruction in ye way how to write ym, et some days later receiued of hym a letter bearing news of my lady daughter et her children, et he saith yt all is well wh ym, 7 I right glad to know it.

And so also did we trauel vnto Marihaus with ye babes, Curnan 7 Ryley, yt we might spend some portion of time wh Rosamund, Gerald, Catlin 7 Iames, et yr babe, Kilian. Et I owe some of ys illness to ys heavy trauel, having been too weak to endure yt and having had no rest, for too true it is yt I have been dreadful ill since St Lucy's eve.

As for yt evening, the Marchoiness sent vnto me a purse containing *c* soverigns, et I humbly grateful for it, owing to the woes we have had ys year, et set aside ys purse for use in alms and gifts in Christmastide. But I was most distressed to send her man away with word yt I could not come to ye banquet she had prepared for ye grete discomfort I had, although I did not know at yt time just how ill I was.

Et vpon St. Lucy's day, my Lord Miguel et I went vnto ye feast in celebration of ye marriage of ye Lady Jennifer of ye River's Edge, who hath married one lord William whom I know naught of, but she seemed most pleased for the marriage and hath departed these lands to live in ye lands of her hosbond. 7 at same feast I spent pleasant time in ye companie of many of House Redhair, 7 gave unto ye new-made wyfe a purse containing as many soverigns as I could spare.

But vpon ye next day, I woke with such sickness as caused my Lord to exclaim and pray of me yt I might go to ye surgeons. Et I did not, instead exhausting myself in tyring to continue to run ye household et keep faith et duties at ye Earle's Chancery, et so am now made so ill that I am to return to bed vpon completing ys account.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home