This is both a research project and an experiment in creating a diary in the style of a Tudor-era woman. Research notes are usually found here, and my primary journal is here.

10 September 2007

Vpon ys day I did labor at ye Earle's chancery, but vpon completion of ys duty, I returned to Marihaus et noted yt the new-receiued raspberries show growth et must be planted. Et so also did I spend ye evening at my writing-table, in answer to both Goody Cristina et Mistress Bronwyn, of whom I also had a letter ys day. And so also did I receive a portion of ye gift of basil giuen vnto ye scribes of ye Earle's Chancery, from whom I know naught. Et I put ys basil to oil et vinegar, yt it may be a fine sauce, et so also did I set aside ye Calcutta fruits sent vnto me some while ago by Rosamund, which I haue preserved ys day also, in oil, et set others vpon screens to dry for use in ye winter. I know these fruits not, and can eat but one well-disbursed in a pottage or some such thing, and were it not a gift of Rosamund herself, I might think myself the target of a poisioner, so strangely biting are these fruits. They make an excellent spice, but are too keen vpon ye tongue for aught else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home