This is both a research project and an experiment in creating a diary in the style of a Tudor-era woman. Research notes are usually found here, and my primary journal is here.

18 September 2007

Vpon ys day, I received of ye Marchioness a perse containing more yn an hundred sovereigns, 7 I most grateful to have it, 7 have already set it aside in ye accounts for safekeeping rather yn expenditure.

Vpon ye feast of Ninian, I attended vpon ye baron et baroness of Caer Anterth, et myself took part in yr tourney for an archer champion, et though I did well at ye third of ye contests, piercing a sack of carmine-reddened water, I did not win. Still, I am content, for having improved much in ys summer I expect I may do well enow in ye hunt. 7 so I took my duty in seeing to ye care of ye archery range after ye contest, 7 think none so pleasaunt a man to lose to as ye Lord Arnbjorn et am merry for the strength of my arm 7 my new bow. & I staid not for ye supper after, but returned vnto Marihaus.

Vpon ye holy day of ye cross, at ye Marchioness's invitation, my Lord Miguel 7 I attended a fair whereat we ate simple sausages and drank strong beer, et so also nuts and fine cakes, although yr were many finer sweetmeats et fare, 7 we watched young men playing at stoolball so long yt there were sundry torches lit yt ye men might continue play. 7 I found ys a pleasaunt perquisite et am glad to be of ye Earle's chancery.

7 through all yese day, ye Lady Isobel hat come vnto Marihaus for help et rest, being much tired after her labors but not contented to stay within childbed after her travail. Ye baybee grows well et ye little lord Curnan takes delight in hys brother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home