This is both a research project and an experiment in creating a diary in the style of a Tudor-era woman. Research notes are usually found here, and my primary journal is here.

17 August 2008

Vpon ye day of Saint Joachim. my Lord Miguel et I waited upon ye Baron et Baroness at ye yr tourney, et spent pleasaunt hours in discourse with many whom I hath seen little iin these passing months. Et so also did I see my old gossips, Lady Gabrielle and Lady Genvieve. and most pleased was I, fot it hath been many years since I was with them and able to speak of things we all enjoy. 7 we have all promised to gather again, having made oaths to one another to work on such documents and illuminations as we may. 7 so also did I spend time in ye companie of ye Countess Julia, for whom I have great regard, et ye Baroness Alice, et others, but I did not shoot in ye archery tourney et so am sad for ys.

Thereafter we trauelled unto Wylcliffe to see what improvements have been made, as my lord's man Christopher hath been installed there to ensure such work occureth; 7 the work comes apace quickly, and many improvements have been made to the manor. My Lord has agreed yt I shall have the design of ye back wing according to my pleasure et so I spoke with Christopher about ys, 7 it is something yt may be done, et I most happi for this. 7 thereafter we spent a great deal of time touring ye lands to see what damage hat been wrought by ye floods of ys yr, and noted many improvements yt have been made in our absence to ye roads that we think no improvement at all.

Et I boarded with ye lady Catlin et her lord Iames, for Wylcliffe is not in fit state for a lady of my station, ye changes be so grete. But thereafter to Marihaus, et the trip smooth 7 of no note.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home